Monday, June 02, 2008

Vossen/Damiris Wedding!

Before I describe what a great time Barry and I had at Amanda and John's wedding this past weekend, I must describe how we came about to work for the couple because it is just the coolest. In a nutshell, it's all Archie's fault.
Last year in May, two days after I searched the Greensburg tornado damage with my dog Clarice, I was feeling pretty down leaving her at home while I traveled to Corona, California for a videography workshop. She worked so hard and I had to turn around and leave her after that ordeal. So, there I sat in the gate area ready to board my flight. The layover location had changed from Denver to Phoenix. I wasn't happy. Soon in the same area, I noticed a young passenger with a mesh carry on case that looked strikingly similar to a doggie carry on case! I wanted so badly to go ask her about her dog, but decided not to. Chicken I guess :) Then when boarding the flight we were actually seated right next to each other! I was so happy! We briefly introduced ourselves and asked about each others travel plans and I voiced how jealous I was that she got to travel with her dog- you guessed it- Archie. Come to find out Amanda was a P.A. student who lived in Phoenix and was happy to be headed back home after visiting family here. We even had some mutual aquaintances! She asked where I was going and I explained what I did. She had mentioned that she was getting married in a year in Wichita and I offered her a demo DVD I had in my carry-on bag and she should take a look. The flight was great, we had a very nice conversation and when we landed I even got to briefly meet Archie the poodle, who started us in conversation! We each went our separate ways in Phoenix both of us fully expecting not to see the other again.
Fast forward three months. I receive an email from Amanda asking me if I remembered her from the plane trip and she had finally had a chance to look at the DVD and loved it and wanted to book Fat Cat for her wedding videographer! Too cool. I was very happy we were not yet booked for her date!
We were able to meet up again the week of the wedding to discuss her day and this weekend, the rehearsal, and the wedding day seemed to fly by! We met up at St. George Orthodox Christian Cathedral for Amanda and her bridesmaids to get ready. She had chosen some great bridesmaid dresses in a spring green, tea length with a yellow sash that tied around the waist. This of course matched all the yellow and green flowers by JR Koontz. Amanda chose a strapless ivory gown with embellishments to the bodice, souffle skirt and lace up back! She knew exactly what she wanted after working in a bridal shop in high school. The guys were donned in classic black tuxes and the grooms tux was purchased and custom tailored for him- and of course, it looked perfect.
They shared a private moment together before the ceremony to get as many pictures done as possible to save time for the party later! I believe I heard John quietly say "Wow!" as he saw Amanda for the first time.
A close friend of the grooms family officiated, Fr. Nicholas Vieron from Cleveland. Fr. Vieron was awesome. He was so personable and humorous, we thoroughly enjoyed meeting him and wish he lived here in Wichita!
The groom's family is of Greek heritage and the ceremony was very different for us, it was our first time being at a Greek Orthodox Ceremony. It is so symbolic in so many ways. The Betrothal, Candles, Joining of Hands, The Crowning, Common Cup and Ceremonial Walk. Most everything happens in threes and it really was something special to be a part of. And what a gorgeous backdrop to film against!
As soon as the bride and groom left the church after being declared husband and wife, the guests were being ushered out to head to the reception while Fr. Vieron kept them entertained with jokes!
I rode in the limo with the bridal party to the reception at The Ville in Andover, another amazing backdrop. Amanda and John were introduced with their bridal party down the grand staircase and mingled with guests a few minutes prior to opening the festivities with an Italian dinner, toasts and the cutting (and smashing) of the cake. The groom also stole a chocolate covered strawberry off his cake decorated with the Ohio State emblem.
The newlyweds started the dance with "A Kiss to Build a Dream On" and shared time with their parents on the dance floor before really letting go and partying well into the evening with all their guests! We especially enjoyed John's grandfather who shared some traditions, dancing to several Greek songs and getting the crowd to join him!
To John and Amanda, thank you so much for letting us share your special day with you this weekend! It was not only a pleasure getting to know you and your amazing, wonderful families, but an honor as well. Have a fabulous time in Australia after school- it will all be worth it! Take tons of photos, we'll get there someday! And don't forget- Love on Archie for me :)
Click below to view Amanda and John's wedding day Prequel!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
FAT CAT Productions said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FAT CAT Productions said...

It was a great day wasn't it Amanda? Not sure what happened to the other comments! Computers- gotta love 'em...sg

Savannah said...

Wow! What an amazing video - I can't wait to see the whole thing! This will be something that you will cherish forever.

Love you guys!

Savannah and Matt

Lauren & Rhett said...

We loved seeing your video since we couldn't be there for the big event! You are a beautiful couple and we wish you a lifetime of happiness!

Love,
Rhett & Lauren Brengarth

Unknown said...

What a beautiful song choice and great camera work! Not only does this video capture the importance of family to all present, but it also pinpoints the true unity and sanctity of marriage.

Congrats to the Vossen and Damiris family!

mb